Safe and Sacred is the child protection program for the Archdiocese of Indianapolis. The training program:
- Is completely conducted online and includes processing of a background check and Code of Conduct.
- Uses follow up bulletins (online) that should be read once per quarter.
- Includes information on child physical abuse, neglect, and emotional abuse, as well as sexual abuse.
The initial training takes about 45 minutes to complete online. Follow up bulletins take less time to read.
All employees and all volunteers dealing with children must complete all three sections BEFORE starting any position. Click HERE to go directly to the Safe and Sacred site.
Purpose of New Program
The Archdiocese of Indianapolis has chosen the “Safe and Sacred” program for several reasons. It provides easier access to child protection training for clergy, employees, and volunteers. It allows us to broaden the focus of the training to increase awareness of all forms of child abuse. Safe and Sacred includes an assessment that must be taken and passed to ensure that training content is learned and can be applied. We believe these are important new features for this program.
Who is Required to Sign Up for this Program?
Teachers, staff, and all volunteers who minister to or work with minor children must meet all the requirements of this program. If you are 18 years of age or older and you volunteer with one of the following ministries here St. Luke, you must comply with all the requirements.
If you are unclear of your need to meet Safe and Sacred requirements, please our Volunteer Coordinator, at 259-4373.
Click here to go to the home page where you will register by providing your email address and choosing a password. You will then be able to view the website and complete the training.
Since this new program was launched, we have received great feedback on the convenience and education it provides our employees and volunteers. We are pleased to have this new resource for our continued commitment to the care and protection of our community.
Safe and Sacred Requirements
We are still requiring the three parts of the program as listed below:
- Safe and Sacred training (replaces VIRTUS)
- This program is designed to increase one's awareness of and recognition of the signs of child physical abuse, child sexual abuse, child emotional abuse, and child neglect. It also provides information on reporting procedures and requirements.
- This is required to screen sex offenders from participating in ministries with children.
- There is no cost to our parishioners for this background check.
Code of Conduct Form
- This form describes the conduct required of all people working with children, both employees and volunteers.
Please note that all three aspects of this program must be completed! Access to all three is provided on the Safe and Sacred link.
To fulfill program requirements, please follow these steps:
- Go to the St. Luke website and click on the Safe and Sacred icon or go directly to the Safe and Sacred link at https://safeandsacred-archindy.org/login/index.php
- You will be asked to create an id and password to get onto the site. Please remember both!
- When training is completed, the program will ask where to send your completion report. Please input Sue Reynolds at firstname.lastname@example.org.